Thursday, July 12, 2012

Summer Chili

 So we've had a few rainy days this week.  Thank goodness!!  It's sort of a nice break in the summer.  Riley must of thought it was wintertime because he came home craving chili.

I think chili is a hard thing to make just right.  I'd love some new recipes, so please share yours or post it on your blog.

Summer Chili
2 lb. ground beef
1 onion 
1 bell pepper
1 can ranch style beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can tomato sauce
1 can Mild Ro-tel 
1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
1 stem of cilantro (chopped fine)
2 cans of water (tomato cans)
salt 
pepper
garlic powder
season salt

First I start with browning hamburger with onions and bell pepper.  
I love this little trick......which maybe everyone already does this.  I take on old tin pie plate and put a piece of foil in it.  Then put a colander inside that.  It is just so easy to let the grease sit for a bit until it hardens a little.  Wad up the foil and trash it.  The little pie plate goes straight back into the cabinet.
After the meat is cooked and drained I pretty much dump everything else in.  Here's what the final product looks like.  Let it simmer for about 30 minutes or until the squash is tender but not mushy.





It is so fun to grow your own produce.  We are having an overflow of zucchini and yellow squash.  I'm hoping to harvest some okra today.  The cilantro also came from my herb garden pallet.
One last little fun thing.  Can you see the little silver, turquoise, and green canisters attached to the side of my microwave?  Those are the little magnetic seasoning canisters from World Market.  My sister-in-law, Hope gave them to me for my birthday and I just love them.  (Please don't look at everything else.)

Here's to hoping you all have rainy days that call for chili makin'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just posted on twitter a few days ago that I was craving chili. We had a cool, overcast day that prompted the craving I guess.
I've never put sqaush in mine! Will have to try it!

Kaitlyn said...

Love the pie plate trick! :)

Mrs. Martin said...

My mom used to put shredded zukes/squash in our chili to make to go further (we had some hardtimes when I was little.) I've been craving a thick meaty chili too!!!

Rachel said...

Yumm, we had a craving of such the other day, as well. So funny how our minds think when the cloudiness takes over for a few days.

Never put squash in mine, either, may need to try that!